Debunking Self Defense Product MythsJuly 26th, 2022
There are many self-defense products on the market today, such as pepper sprays & stun guns. Today we are going to be debunking some myths around the effectiveness of some of these products by discussing their ineffectiveness.
Myth: Pepper Spray is the best cost effective self defense tool.
Facts: Pepper Sprays have expiration dates so you will have to re-purchase or risk the spray no longer being effective at all. They also cost around the same or more in most cases compared to the Punisher Self Defense Glove. In addition, below are 3 reasons they are ineffective as a product.
Three reasons why pepper spray is ineffective:
- Most women carry them in their purses or on their keychain, so they are inaccessible during an attack.
- The Pepper spray case must be unsnapped and the canister must be in the unlocked position before the potential victim can use the pepper spray.
- The pepper spray may incapacitate the victim instead of the predator if there is any type of wind or even a slight breeze as the pepper spray will come back on them.
Myth: Stun Guns or Tasers are the quickest way to stop an attack, that’s why even cops use them.
Facts: In many cases, stun guns or tasers do not have enough power to actually stop an attack which is why police use them as a non lethal option only but require other, more deadly options such as a real gun. They also have to be applied to skin so something as simple as a thick jacket could stop these. In addition, below are 5 more reasons they are ineffective as a whole.
Five reasons why stun guns are ineffective:
- Your assailant is on drugs or is drunk, which is very common.
- It MUST be applied to the nerve centers on the body located on
the “upper hip area, below the rib cage or the upper shoulders” which is extremely hard to do during an assault.
- Needs to be applied for a minimum of 3 to 5 seconds. That doesn’t sound like long but when you’re in a life or death situation, a few seconds is an eternity.
- The batteries are dead or the device hasn’t been charged.
- Product defect. It may sound simple but the reality is, products fail and those failures can occur at any moment. It would be tragic for one of these failures to occur right when your life depends on it.
Myth: A gun (firearm) has almost no down sides and are hands down the most effective means of self defense.
Facts: Don’t get us wrong, carrying a gun is great for some types of protection. IDTS itself has encouraged, hosted and will continue to host firearm courses for women. For instance if you can see the assailant coming at you, or in a carjacking attempt, or a home invasion etc. However a gun is ineffective if you are assaulted from the rear like if you are jogging or walking to your car.
According to research 80% of assaults against women are blitz attacks, victims are approached from the rear and the victims are taken to the ground, 10% are approached from the front and 10% are lured into dangerous situations. From this, we can reasonably assume you won’t have enough time to react and draw your firearm in many cases when women are being attacked.
There are multiple real options for self defense but being honest about their advantages and disadvantages in real life scenarios is crucial. In our experience, The Punisher Self Defense Glove is the ultimate Kubaton self-defense product. Unlike a gun, you can wear it in a ready position comfortably and don’t have to worry about drawing or dropping it.
Kubatons are non-lethal weapons; they are maximum pain-inducing weapons used to minimize the risk of casualties and are less likely to kill a target. However, there are issues with Kubatons as individual weapons. Sexual assaults and or abductions happen fast, they are chaotic and brutal that leaves the potential of losing the Kubaton during the fight.
We have designed and patented The Punisher Self Defense Glove to hold the Kubaton securely in your hand during the fight so that you can effectively defend yourself. The Punisher Self Defense Glove features a one size fits all design, it’s easy to conceal, and there is “no right or wrong strike” which makes this a powerful weapon in defending yourself!